Things had certainly changed in Lubbock. Most of our favorite places to eat, though, were exactly the same. It was strange going into a restaurant we haven't been to in 5 years and the person behind the counter knew us and greeted us as if we were returning friends. Not only in one place, but in several.
We attended my cousin's wedding. We saw family I hadn't seen since I was a girl. I remember as a kid being with my parents as they were reacquainted with family and introducing us. They would tell us how they had played together as kids. Now I am the parent doing just that with my child. It amazes me how life flows the same from generation to generation even though things change so much.
We continued our "adventure" up to Hartley and the farm that was my childhood home. I was raised in the same house where my father was raised and his father before him. Generations of people who have battled the sand and the wind of the West Texas prairie. As we were on the last part of the drive through the country I thought about Scarlet and her deep need to return to Tara. I must say I am glad I don't live there, but there will always be something inside of me connected to the land. I sometimes ache that my son doesn't have the same kind of connection to the land that I have because of where I came from.
While we were in Hartley we went to see some of my dearest and oldest friends. It was such a joy. As Drew put it, it was nice to be with people with whom you don't have to watch what you say. We laughed and laughed together. To see my friends so happy makes my heart rejoice.
Our trip was just right and it was great to get home. I'm grateful for the home we have here in Flower Mound and I am grateful for the people and places of my past. I thank God for the time we had with friends and family and I hope our time until we do it again is shorter.
No comments:
Post a Comment